What is operating system?
When you turn on your pc and you see a windows logo. And you know that windows is an
When you are in other countries with different languages you need one translator. Because it is hard to communicate without knowing each other language. We never understand what
In the same way, the OS works it makes an interface between user and machine because the machine does not understand human language. When you gave command using hardware it gave a response to some software that you are using. But program not going to understand until OS translates that. Like doing some work in PC using mouse and keyboard all work is done by OS, who makes an interface between a user and machine.
In other words, An operating system is a program that acts as an interface between the software and the computer hardware.
Need of OS.
makeeasy to communicate with Machine and using in a convenient manner.
- To provide a user interface, between hardware and software.
- To operate other programs which are in PC, And executes all that program. Because every software is designed in a manner that OS would help to make user interface between that software and user.
- To connect input-output units, like a mouse, keyboard, printers etc. So User can operate this hardware with the help of OS.
- To do multitasking. Running many programs at a time while you are working on another program.
Characteristics of OS.
- Memory management – your Pc needs memory management to work fast and easily. Like how much memory is used and not used by the program which is running.
- processor management – To run and shut the program after work is done. This all work is taken by your central processing unit (CPU).
- Device management – I/O controller keep track of all devices which is connected with PC. And maintain a balance between a connected device and CPU.
- Security – To Secure your device from insecure programs.
- File management – To manage all your file.
- Virtual memory – To utilize the memory for big files.
So this is the basic characteristics for Operating system. there are different types of OS also with Different user interface. For example Windows, Linux, MAC OS and many more.
What happens without Operating system?
You can use your PC, But without OS your pc stops working. The software that provides a platform for programs, like your games or web browser, to run on. Without an operating system, your laptop is just a box that do not know how to communicate with one another, or you
Hope this information helps you share with your friends who want to know about OS and much. Thanks for visiting.
Check previous posts: